September 8, 2008

C.A. for Episode 6: Trouble-shooter or Trouble-maker

Original backdrop idea

Final BackDrop
As was shown on TV, C.A. was always missing the big picture, rigid and unable to adapt to situations and he most likely made the most blunders thus robbing Team Equity of a victory. All because he managed to meet Citibank’s requirements in return for a booth / counter, changed the backdrop and managed to invite someone from the embassy – all these within 48 hours.

Most importantly, the Citibank sales team even managed to draw traffic to our display area. I must say that given the short time, Citibank has legendary response time! Many thanks to Jason Lim, Shahrul and Wong Shiang Yee from Citibank for making time to help a total stranger.

Barely 12 hours before task day, C.A. received a fax from the Indonesian embassy saying that they will be sending someone to attend our event. Sincere thanks to Pak Djoko Harjanto, Minister Counsellor - Political Affairs from the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia for taking time off to rush to our event on a Friday afternoon. And thanks for Sunny Lim, Lisa Yap and Eunice Sin of H.T.T. Travel for loaning the POS materials on such short notice.

Since the traffic was low, C.A. approached the people in charge of the children playpen that was situated beside our display area. It must have been his rigidness or his inability to adapt to situations or because he consistently misses the big picture, but C.A. managed to convince the caretakers to bring the children to sit in for the event. With the children, came the parents and other shoppers.



In the boardroom, I felt bad as I actually had to stop Boon Yew from spilling the beans because I selfishly wanted to be booted off the show; I was very worried that if Boon Yew decides to argue some more, it will result in someone else, instead of myself, being terminated. In doing so, I inadvertently put Boon Yew in a very bad light and for this, I am sorry. The fact was, there were 3 team briefings and only Boon Yew and myself attended all 3 team briefings. That could be the reason why Boon Yew and myself were clear of our roles. Personally, I feel that The Firm isn’t about achievers, it is more about who is able to compromise his / her values in order to ascend to the top. Of course, I could be wrong since it is only my perception and may not necessarily be a fact.

After episode 1, I decided that The Firm isn’t what I expected thus I wanted out. My dilemma was I wanted out but I didn’t want Team Equity to lose (yes, I have been told again and again that I am perceived to be abnormal for harbouring such thoughts. But the fact is, who is normal?). I previously perceived that Team Equity only comprised of trouble-shooters, I no longer subscribe to such notions. But I have to emphasize that what was shown on television was barely a fraction of what actually transpired. YOU (yes, you who is now reading this article) the reader, have the free will and the intelligence to decide, who the trouble-shooters and the trouble-makers were.

I loved McGuyver during my younger days because no matter how hopeless the situation maybe, he always finds a way to get out of the situation. To me, he is the ultimate Trouble-shooter because he can solve basically anything. I believe I met the ultimate trouble-makers in The Firm.
This is C.A. signing out of The Firm.

2 comments:

Blast said...

CA, I dont think that you are supposed to be kicked out. Your contribution to the team is enormous (look at all the tough things you have done for AirAsia) and if i were to judge, i'll sack people that contribute less. For me, you are definitly a troubleshooter.

C.A. said...

Goodbye 2008 and hello 2009!

I don't know what prompted me to visit this site in 2009 but visit it I did and I am pleasantly surprised with this generous compliment from a viewer. For this I thank you for it really light up my day.

The brutal truth:I was probably insane when I decided to participate in The Firm. Reason being I had no inkling of what a reality show is.

My insanity continued further by giving all other team members only positive comments during one to one interviews and giving 110% to ensure that the team that I was in do not lose BUT at the same time I was sabotaging myself. Looking back at this, I can only laugh at my own insanity; I was known as a 'Nut' during my younger days and the moniker sticks till this day.

The brutal truth: I 'engineered' Team Equity's fall in Episode 6 with my insanity. In absolute honesty, I doubt that if the judges were changed, the result would have been different.

Your statement that 'if i were to judge, I'll sack people that contribute less' was made without the knowledge that I was insane. Would you hire an insane person in your organization? I sure wouldn't.

2008 was an insane year for me. I am eager to see what 2009 has in store for me.

Have a great 2009!